LBJ was the ‘most-threatened president in American history’Breaking News
Hey, hey LBJ, how many death threats did you get today?
Well, that’s not precisely the slogan anti-war protesters chanted in the 1960s, but author Mel Ayton says the answer to the question is quite possibly more than any president in modern American history.
“Generally speaking, the level of threats each post-war president has faced has remained stable,” Ayton told The Daily Caller in an interview about his new book, ”Hunting the President: Threats, Plots and Assassination Attempts — From FDR to Obama.”
“However, from my research, I would hazard a guess that the most -threatened president in American history has to be Lyndon Johnson, mainly because of the Vietnam War,” he continued. “He is possibly the only president who confined his public speaking events to ‘safe’ venues like military bases. The apex of demonstrations against the war during his presidency occurred in 1968 and the Secret Service persuaded Johnson that the level of hatred directed towards him would make it more likely than not fanatical anti-war militant groups or individuals would make an attempt on his life.”
Of course, unlike his predecessor John F. Kennedy, none of the plots against Johnson were successful.
Ayton also reveals in his book that before killing 77 people in 2011, including 69 at a summer camp, Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik plotted to attack President Barack Obama when he was in the country to accept the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity