LBJ was the ‘most-threatened president in American history’Breaking News
Hey, hey LBJ, how many death threats did you get today?
Well, that’s not precisely the slogan anti-war protesters chanted in the 1960s, but author Mel Ayton says the answer to the question is quite possibly more than any president in modern American history.
“Generally speaking, the level of threats each post-war president has faced has remained stable,” Ayton told The Daily Caller in an interview about his new book, ”Hunting the President: Threats, Plots and Assassination Attempts — From FDR to Obama.”
“However, from my research, I would hazard a guess that the most -threatened president in American history has to be Lyndon Johnson, mainly because of the Vietnam War,” he continued. “He is possibly the only president who confined his public speaking events to ‘safe’ venues like military bases. The apex of demonstrations against the war during his presidency occurred in 1968 and the Secret Service persuaded Johnson that the level of hatred directed towards him would make it more likely than not fanatical anti-war militant groups or individuals would make an attempt on his life.”
Of course, unlike his predecessor John F. Kennedy, none of the plots against Johnson were successful.
Ayton also reveals in his book that before killing 77 people in 2011, including 69 at a summer camp, Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik plotted to attack President Barack Obama when he was in the country to accept the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Most Controversial Psych Study Is Repeated — Same Weird Result
- A new book explores the stunning revelation that Hemingway spied for the USSR
- A President’s Restless Corpse May Be on the Move Again in Tennessee
- How China and the U.S. might collide — or not
- Major Viking Age Archaeological Find Discovered in Denmark
- The New York Times celebrates biographer Richard Holmes
- Historians are in demand! (On cruise ships)
- Douglas Brinkley says there’s a "smell of treason in the air"
- Mary Maples Dunn, Advocate of Women’s Colleges and President of Smith, Dies at 85
- Gil Troy says Jews and Israelis are the victims of a “Hate Swarm”