Katrina sweeps away Gulf Coast historyBreaking News
Almost all our old houses have gone. This isn't just a question of financial loss, this is our history that has disappeared," said Helen Sirmon, an elementary school teacher who took her classes on tours of Biloxi's historic buildings.
"We will try to keep our past alive by talking about it, but it isn't the same as being able to see it. This is going to impoverish our children," she said.
The Green Oaks, billed as the oldest remaining beachfront residence in Mississippi, is just a pile of rubble. Beauvoir, the final home of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy, is demolished.
The Davis home, built in 1854, was consumed by the storm surge. The Old Brick House, a historical museum, is gutted. Tullis-Toledano Manor, built in 1856 and lovingly restored after the killer 1969 Hurricane Camille, is a splintered jumble.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity