Diane Ravitch blasts Common CoreHistorians in the News
tags: Diane Ravitch, Common Core
As public school students in New York state sit at their desks today taking the Common Core based English Language Arts tests, a nationally known opponent to the core is in Syracuse. Education Historian Dr. Diane Ravitch spent the day Tuesday at Syracuse University.
Ravitch, who has written about the issues and is the author of a very popular anti-Common Core blog, doesn’t have anything good to say about the new, more rigorous curriculum that’s taken over New York state classrooms. First there’s the way it was conceived.
"The process was extremely secretive, it was done behind closed doors," Ravitch explained. "There were few, if any teachers. I don’t think there were any teachers on the writing team.”
Then there’s the way it was funded through the Gates Foundation.
"It’s been estimated by people who study the Gates website that they spent $2.3 billion to create the Common Core,” Ravitch said.
And because the experts weren’t at the table, the curriculum is flawed.
“I’m talking about people with knowledge of disabilities. I’m talking about people with experience with early childhood education, so many of the standards are completely developmentally inappropriate,” Ravitch said.
So what are the results of the Common Core? She says there's an over reliance on testing.
“They don’t have time to play, they don’t have time to socialize, it’s just all academics all the time," Ravitch explained. "It’s totally inappropriate. Other countries just don’t do this.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges