Boston College oral-history project leads to arrest in murder investigationHistorians in the News
tags: IRA, oral history, Boston College
Interviews from a Boston College oral-history project that became embroiled in a murder investigation have led to the arrest of an alleged former Irish Republican Army leader in Northern Ireland.
Ivor Bell, now 77, was charged with aiding and abetting the murder of Jean McConville, a widowed mother of 10 who was abducted and killed in 1972, allegedly for being an informer for the British Army.
Boston College’s Belfast Project collected interviews with former members of the IRA and other paramilitary groups who were active during the decades-long civil conflict known as the Troubles. The interviews were subpoenaed by law-enforcement authorities and turned over to the police in Northern Ireland last year.
Mr. Bell was allegedly one of those interviewed, but he denied that he had had anything to do with Ms. McConville’s death....
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges