New Australian Front In History WarsBreaking News
ACADEMICS have been warned to defend themselves against renewed attacks by history warriors as a dispute between traditional and private landowners in western Victoria becomes the focus of a new battleground in the Aboriginal history wars.
Monash University Associate Professor Bain Attwood yesterday used the launch of his new book, Telling The Truth About Aboriginal History, to attack history commentator Keith Windschuttle and others he labels the new conservatives.
Mr Windschuttle sparked the history wars in 2002 with his book The Fabrication of Aboriginal History, which argued that a politically inspired generation of left-wing academics had fabricated the history of Aboriginal mistreatment since white settlement.
"Windschuttle's account of the academic historiography tells us a little about academic historians and their research but a good deal more about himself and his own writing," Professor Attwood said. While Professor Attwood's book is largely a debunking of Mr Windschuttle's arguments, he also expressed concern that Tasmanian academic Michael Connor, writing in The Weekend Australian, argued that an Aboriginal massacre at the heart of the Portland dispute may never have happened.
"A history warrior by the name of Michael Connor, who has connections with those who have been called 'white-blindfold historians', has entered the fray by doing some tabloid history in the pages of The Australian," Professor Attwood said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't