New Australian Front In History Wars
ACADEMICS have been warned to defend themselves against renewed attacks by history warriors as a dispute between traditional and private landowners in western Victoria becomes the focus of a new battleground in the Aboriginal history wars.
Monash University Associate Professor Bain Attwood yesterday used the launch of his new book, Telling The Truth About Aboriginal History, to attack history commentator Keith Windschuttle and others he labels the new conservatives.
Mr Windschuttle sparked the history wars in 2002 with his book The Fabrication of Aboriginal History, which argued that a politically inspired generation of left-wing academics had fabricated the history of Aboriginal mistreatment since white settlement.
"Windschuttle's account of the academic historiography tells us a little about academic historians and their research but a good deal more about himself and his own writing," Professor Attwood said. While Professor Attwood's book is largely a debunking of Mr Windschuttle's arguments, he also expressed concern that Tasmanian academic Michael Connor, writing in The Weekend Australian, argued that an Aboriginal massacre at the heart of the Portland dispute may never have happened.
"A history warrior by the name of Michael Connor, who has connections with those who have been called 'white-blindfold historians', has entered the fray by doing some tabloid history in the pages of The Australian," Professor Attwood said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Now it can be told: The weakening of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 is the crowning achievement of GOP partisans who detested the law
- Japanese textbooks may sanitize history, but comic art books don't
- Novels About Real-Life Women Are Saving Forgotten History
- Rubio becomes the first Republican presidential candidate in 2016 to admit US must confront “painful” history of racial discrimination
- CNN documentary focuses on “Nixon’s Own 9/11"
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success