New Australian Front In History WarsBreaking News
ACADEMICS have been warned to defend themselves against renewed attacks by history warriors as a dispute between traditional and private landowners in western Victoria becomes the focus of a new battleground in the Aboriginal history wars.
Monash University Associate Professor Bain Attwood yesterday used the launch of his new book, Telling The Truth About Aboriginal History, to attack history commentator Keith Windschuttle and others he labels the new conservatives.
Mr Windschuttle sparked the history wars in 2002 with his book The Fabrication of Aboriginal History, which argued that a politically inspired generation of left-wing academics had fabricated the history of Aboriginal mistreatment since white settlement.
"Windschuttle's account of the academic historiography tells us a little about academic historians and their research but a good deal more about himself and his own writing," Professor Attwood said. While Professor Attwood's book is largely a debunking of Mr Windschuttle's arguments, he also expressed concern that Tasmanian academic Michael Connor, writing in The Weekend Australian, argued that an Aboriginal massacre at the heart of the Portland dispute may never have happened.
"A history warrior by the name of Michael Connor, who has connections with those who have been called 'white-blindfold historians', has entered the fray by doing some tabloid history in the pages of The Australian," Professor Attwood said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Tourism spot for Colonial Williamsburg shocks some New Yorkers during Super Bowl 50 for use of 9/11 attack footage
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history
- American Historical Association protests Turkey’s crackdown on historians and other academics who signed a a petition critical of the Turkish government
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948