George Africanus: Work to uncover former slave's lifeBreaking News
tags: slavery, United Kingdom, Great Britain
George Africanus is thought to have been born in Sierra Leone in 1763, then given as a present to the Molineux family in Wolverhampton in 1766.
The family educated him and he moved to Nottingham as an adult in 1784.
Belong Nottingham, a community development charity, wants to increase awareness of him.
Rosanna Ottewell from the charity said: "At the end of the 18th Century there were 14,000 black people in Britain and we hear very little about them....
comments powered by Disqus
- Karen L. Cox says historians shouldn’t be afraid to embrace YouTube to reach millennials
- You Know Your History? These Podcasts Aren’t So Sure.
- Victor Davis Hanson says Trump Must "Retire as Twitter Champ”
- The Daily Mail is highlighting claims by a Cambridge don that teachers are helping to foster resentment by presenting history as the struggle of minority groups
- Historians Are Calling Out Trump Online Whenever He Misreads the Past