George Africanus: Work to uncover former slave's lifeBreaking News
tags: slavery, United Kingdom, Great Britain
George Africanus is thought to have been born in Sierra Leone in 1763, then given as a present to the Molineux family in Wolverhampton in 1766.
The family educated him and he moved to Nottingham as an adult in 1784.
Belong Nottingham, a community development charity, wants to increase awareness of him.
Rosanna Ottewell from the charity said: "At the end of the 18th Century there were 14,000 black people in Britain and we hear very little about them....
comments powered by Disqus
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments