Former University of Richmond professor Wilbon Harrison Daniel dies at age 91Historians in the News
Dr. Wilbon Harrison Daniel, 91, who was a professor of history at University of Richmond from 1956 to 1992, passed away in his home Dec. 30, 2013.
Daniel had two great passions in life, baseball and history, and wrote extensively about them during his fruitful career. He published books on Civil War history, particularly on Southern Protestantism in the Confederacy, and was even an ordained Baptist minister. He also published books on his favorite baseball player, Jimmie Foxx, as well as the early baseball movement in Richmond, Va. By the time of his retirement, Daniel was the William Binford Vest Professor of History Emeritus.
As a child, Daniel studied at the New London Academy in Forest, Va., before attending Lynchburg College and Vanderbuilt University. He completed his Ph.D. at Duke University, writing his dissertation on Confederate army chaplains during the Civil War....
comments powered by Disqus
- Letters collection offers unique gimplse into ordeal of Australian aborigines
- War, More Than ISIS, Is Destroying Syria's Ancient Sites
- Pew Poll: Trust in government is at historic lows
- If "The Donald" Said It Happened, It Happened! And Don't You Forget It!
- Solved: the mystery of Britain’s Bronze Age mummies
- Anne Frank Faced Challenges Similar to Syrian Refugees, Richard Breitman Says
- Douglass North, Nobel Prize-winning economics historian, dies at 95
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project