Praise and Criticism as Sharon’s Body Lies in StateBreaking News
tags: Middle East, Israel, Ariel Sharon
JERUSALEM — In life, former Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was a polarizing figure, particularly after his turnabout from a builder of Jewish settlements to a man who forced their evacuation.
But regardless of their political views, many Israelis who came here on Sunday to view his coffin admired Mr. Sharon as a bold decision-maker unafraid to take risks, something they say they are yearning for in the nation’s current leadership.
“He was a person that once he decided, he carried it out — decide and execute,” said Shlomo Shapira, 68, who rode for an hour on a bus provided by the state to get here. “Today, we have people who don’t decide and don’t execute.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch every presidential debate since 1960
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history