Praise and Criticism as Sharon’s Body Lies in StateBreaking News
tags: Middle East, Israel, Ariel Sharon
JERUSALEM — In life, former Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was a polarizing figure, particularly after his turnabout from a builder of Jewish settlements to a man who forced their evacuation.
But regardless of their political views, many Israelis who came here on Sunday to view his coffin admired Mr. Sharon as a bold decision-maker unafraid to take risks, something they say they are yearning for in the nation’s current leadership.
“He was a person that once he decided, he carried it out — decide and execute,” said Shlomo Shapira, 68, who rode for an hour on a bus provided by the state to get here. “Today, we have people who don’t decide and don’t execute.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)