Praise and Criticism as Sharon’s Body Lies in Statetags: Middle East, Israel, Ariel Sharon
JERUSALEM — In life, former Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was a polarizing figure, particularly after his turnabout from a builder of Jewish settlements to a man who forced their evacuation.
But regardless of their political views, many Israelis who came here on Sunday to view his coffin admired Mr. Sharon as a bold decision-maker unafraid to take risks, something they say they are yearning for in the nation’s current leadership.
“He was a person that once he decided, he carried it out — decide and execute,” said Shlomo Shapira, 68, who rode for an hour on a bus provided by the state to get here. “Today, we have people who don’t decide and don’t execute.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Were Neanderthals a sub-species of modern humans? New research says no
- Irish archaeological sites explain huge European population fall
- Reactions to JFK Assassination Included Fear of Possible Soviet Strike against U.S.; Desire to "Bond" with LBJ
- Swiss Museum to Announce Decision on Nazi-Looted Art Next Week
- What Happened the Last Time Republicans Had a Majority This Huge?
- Juan Cole says the postwar Middle East governments were modeled on the Soviet Union, though not communist (interview)
- Ted Widmer picks the 5 best presidential books worth reading
- AHA backs California's LGBT History law
- Cultural historian traces history of baby food
- Jules Witcover identifies the best and worst veeps in US history in an interview about his new book