Former Harvard history chair MacCaffrey remembered as generous mentorHistorians in the News
tags: obituaries, historians, Harvard, deaths
History professor emeritus Wallace T. MacCaffrey, a former chair of the History Department and an avid scholar of the Elizabethan era, died Dec. 13 in Cambridge, England. He was 93.
An advisor to countless undergraduate and graduate students, MacCaffrey also wrote several influential books about high politics and policymaking in early modern Britain, including Elizabeth I, a biography of the English queen. Friends and colleagues said they remember the former Guggenheim fellow as a diligent historian and supportive mentor.
“He was a towering intellect and consummate scholar, yet he seemed so eager not to intimidate; in conversation he might share a personal detail, such as having to summon all his courage before approaching a daunting task,” Marie C. Henson ’88, one of MacCaffrey’s former students, wrote in an email to The Crimson....
comments powered by Disqus
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges