Hobbit author JRR Tolkien's World War One revolver on displaytags: World War I, JRR Tolkein
The revolver used by JRR Tolkien, the author of The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings, at the Battle of the Somme has gone on show in Greater Manchester.
It is being displayed ahead of an exhibition marking the World War One centenary, which opens next year at the Imperial War Museum North in Trafford.
Tolkien's Webley Mk V was the standard British service revolver at the outbreak of the conflict.
He served as a second lieutenant with The Lancashire Fusiliers in the war....
comments powered by Disqus
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate
- Origins of sex discovered
- Symposium held in honor of John D’Emilio
- Thousands of Historic Archives from British Asylums to Go Online
- American Studies Association boycott of Israel: Conservatives say it’s weakening
- YIVO Vilna Project Will Digitize Jewish History
- Columbia historian Eric Foner is giving his lectures to the public -- and to posterity — through a free MOOC.