Hobbit author JRR Tolkien's World War One revolver on displayBreaking News
tags: World War I, JRR Tolkein
The revolver used by JRR Tolkien, the author of The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings, at the Battle of the Somme has gone on show in Greater Manchester.
It is being displayed ahead of an exhibition marking the World War One centenary, which opens next year at the Imperial War Museum North in Trafford.
Tolkien's Webley Mk V was the standard British service revolver at the outbreak of the conflict.
He served as a second lieutenant with The Lancashire Fusiliers in the war....
comments powered by Disqus
- Letters collection offers unique glimpse into ordeal of Australian aborigines
- War, More Than ISIS, Is Destroying Syria's Ancient Sites
- Pew Poll: Trust in government is at historic lows
- If "The Donald" Said It Happened, It Happened! And Don't You Forget It!
- Solved: the mystery of Britain’s Bronze Age mummies
- Anne Frank Faced Challenges Similar to Syrian Refugees, Richard Breitman Says
- Douglass North, Nobel Prize-winning economics historian, dies at 95
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project