Hobbit author JRR Tolkien's World War One revolver on displayBreaking News
tags: World War I, JRR Tolkein
The revolver used by JRR Tolkien, the author of The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings, at the Battle of the Somme has gone on show in Greater Manchester.
It is being displayed ahead of an exhibition marking the World War One centenary, which opens next year at the Imperial War Museum North in Trafford.
Tolkien's Webley Mk V was the standard British service revolver at the outbreak of the conflict.
He served as a second lieutenant with The Lancashire Fusiliers in the war....
comments powered by Disqus
- ICC orders Mali extremist to pay $3.2 million in reparations
- Political Rage Over Statues? Old News in the Old World
- Deadly U.S. Embassy Bombing in Kenya Was ‘Avoidable,’ According to Scorching New Memoir
- There are certain moments in US history when Confederate monuments go up
- Charlottesville Violence Spurs New Resistance to Confederate Symbols
- Eric Foner says in an interview that it’s not necessary to remove Confederate statues
- Philip Zelikow says the government should crack down on armed groups of militants
- Conservatives complain that a "Pro-gay U.S. embassy features ‘art’ by anti-Trump professor”
- N. D. B. Connolly says Charlottesville showed that liberalism can’t defeat white supremacy
- Historian William I. Hitchcock schools policymakers: Ike never threatened to use nukes in North Korea