Faculty Praise, Remember Esteemed Cornell Historian Michael KammenHistorians in the News
tags: obituaries, Cornell University, Michael G. Kammen
Prof. Emeritus Michael Kammen, history, who peers describe as one of the eminent historians of America, died Friday at the age of 77.
Kammen, who taught at Cornell for 43 years and then came out of retirement this fall to teach a honors thesis class, was the author of several books about American colonial history, as well as an active member of the community of historical scholars.
His friends, family and colleagues remembered him as a dedicated teacher who lent a hand to anyone in need.
Prof. Isaac Kramnick, government, said Kammen was beloved by his colleagues.
“He was a gentle, unassuming man who never tooted his own horn and who always helped students and colleagues find just the right article or book to help in their work,” Kramnick said. “He spent his whole career here, and he will be sorely missed.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity