'Chicago Time Machine' looks at layers of historyBreaking News
tags: Chicago, TV shows, local history
Chicago history comes in layers.
Thinking about the spot in southern Grant Park from which Barack Obama delivered his 2008 presidential victory speech, Geoffrey Baer realized that, four decades earlier, the Democratic National Convention protesters had gathered in that same spot.
Before that, airplanes took off and landed from there during a deadly 1911 air show, and before that, it was part of the lake, accepting Great Chicago Fire rubble to become parkland.
"Chicago Time Machine," Baer's 20th special on area history and neighborhoods for WTTW-Ch. 11 (7:30 p.m. Tuesday), explores these connections and many more, demonstrating extraordinary overlapping in the city and, at the same time, its lack of sentimentality about places of import....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity