Steve McQueen: New Readership for ’12 Years a Slave’ Is ‘Amazing’Breaking News
tags: slavery, 12 Years a Slave
...Though the book is regarded by historians as one of the most important records of slavery, Northup’s “Twelve Years a Slave” fell into relative obscurity, remaining in the shadow of other books such as Harriet Beecher Stowe’s 1852 novel “Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” and Frederick Douglass’s 1845 autobiography of his life born into slavery until his escape to a free state.
But today, Northup’s book is on non-fiction bestseller lists (for editions by various publishers), fueled by the feature film “12 Years a Slave” directed by Steve McQueen and starring Chiwetel Ejiofor as Northup, Michael Fassbender as plantation owner Edwin Epps and Lupita Nyong’o as fellow slave Patsey. The book is #3 on The Wall Street Journal bestseller list under Non-Fiction E-Books. As of this writing, Solomon Northup is the #5 author on Amazon’s list for top Kindle eBooks under Biographies & Memoirs, and #9 on the list for print books under the same category. There is also a new Penguin reissue of the book tied to the film, which Penguin said has been the imprint’s top seller for the past several weeks since its Sept. 1 publication, with sales increasing each week....
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea