Angry words of '63 Dallas now part of mainstreamBreaking News
tags: JFK, Dallas, JFK assassination, Kennedys
On the day President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, the Dallas Morning News ran a giant black-bordered ad headlined "Welcome Mr. Kennedy to Dallas" that ripped him as soft on communism. Plastered around town were black-framed posters of Kennedy's face under the words, "Wanted for Treason."
As Kennedy landed in Dallas, he ominously told his wife, Jacqueline, "We're heading into nut country."
In 1963, "nut country" - both left- and right-wing - was confined to pockets like Dallas around the country. Now, extreme speech like the kind heard in Dallas 50 years ago has become mainstream - particularly on the right, amplified by social media and encouraged by gridlocked political leaders looking to win the political minute....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity