With medals and gravesite visit, Obama to honor JFK before 50th anniversary of assassinationtags: Barack Obama, JFK, JFK assassination, Kennedys
Wednesday’s day of tributes starts at the White House, where Obama is to present the Presidential Medal of Freedom to more than a dozen prominent Americans in fields ranging from politics and entertainment to sports and science. Former President Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and the late astronaut Sally Ride are among this year’s recipients.
Kennedy established the modern version of the medal, the highest award the U.S. gives a civilian, but he didn’t live to make that first presentation. He was fatally shot by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963, two weeks before he planned to honor the inaugural group of recipients. Hundreds since have received the medal....
comments powered by Disqus
- 1,000 + have signed a petition protesting US government plan to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War
- Historian and raconteur Raychauduri dies in UK
- Group is drawing attention to the historic swath between Gettysburg and Monticello
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland