With medals and gravesite visit, Obama to honor JFK before 50th anniversary of assassinationBreaking News
tags: Barack Obama, JFK, JFK assassination, Kennedys
Wednesday’s day of tributes starts at the White House, where Obama is to present the Presidential Medal of Freedom to more than a dozen prominent Americans in fields ranging from politics and entertainment to sports and science. Former President Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey and the late astronaut Sally Ride are among this year’s recipients.
Kennedy established the modern version of the medal, the highest award the U.S. gives a civilian, but he didn’t live to make that first presentation. He was fatally shot by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963, two weeks before he planned to honor the inaugural group of recipients. Hundreds since have received the medal....
comments powered by Disqus
- Climate Change Used to Be a Bipartisan Issue
- A ‘Saturday Night Massacre’ Veteran Offers Trump Some Advice
- The Long, Painful History of Police Brutality in the U.S.
- The crazy Scaramucci vs. Priebus feud is just as ugly as the LBJ vs. RFK hatefest
- Did Russia kill JFK? Long-secret CIA files show a Russian spy's theory.
- NYT memorializes Thomas Fleming, historian of the Revolution
- Historian Plumbs Tax Records for Patterns of Racial Discrimination
- Alt-right commentator gets 'schooled' by historian over diversity in Roman Britain
- 2 Sinologists say Liu Xiaobo’s Death speaks to a dark vision for China
- Historians plead with Trump not to block the release of final stash of JFK assassination documents