Celtic Paths, Illuminated by a SundialHistorians in the News
tags: Celtic people, pre-history
BEWCASTLE, England — The road leading north from Carlisle through the low, windswept hills stretching to the Scottish border traces Hadrian’s Wall, once a remote outpost of the Roman Empire. Nearby is the tiny outcropping of Bewcastle, where a broken Celtic cross with one of the oldest sundials in England stands in a lonely churchyard.
This former Celtic settlement in northwest England tends to draw a New Age-y crowd, the author Graham Robb noted, as he traipsed around the churchyard on a recent blustery afternoon. Such places are at the heart of his new book, “The Discovery of Middle Earth: Mapping the Lost World of the Celts,” in which he peels back the layers of Europe to reveal the traces of Celtic civilization. (The book is called “The Ancient Paths” in Britain.)
A literary historian best known for his biographies of French authors and books about France, including “The Discovery of France” and “Parisians, ” Mr. Robb says that in this work he stumbled on an understanding of how astronomy guided the Celts, semi-nomadic tribes who dominated Europe in the Iron Age, from 800 B.C. to A.D. 600, in their migrations from the Iberian Peninsula to the Black Sea....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity