Historian Daniel Czitrom: JFK far more complicated than CamelotHistorians in the News
tags: JFK, JFK assassination, Kennedys
Forget Marilyn. Forget Sinatra. Forget Camelot.
As the 50th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's assassination nears, a noted historian and expert on Kennedy's White House tenure urges the public to shift its focus from the myth to the man.
Daniel Czitrom, a history professor at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley and co-author of "Out of Many: A History of the American People," said Kennedy made marked turnabouts during his presidency – particularly around Cold War diplomacy and the civil rights movement.
Somehow though, Czitrom contends the nuances of Kennedy's presidency get lost in the glitz and lore, largely because of the simultaneous explosion of television as the go-to medium for news and entertainment, where the lines continue to be blurred....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges