Timothy Naftali Joins NYU as the Tamiment Library’s New DirectorHistorians in the News
tags: NYU, Timothy Naftali, Tamiment Library
Dean of New York University Libraries Carol A. Mandel announced today the designation of presidential historian Timothy Naftali as Head of the Tamiment Library and Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives and co-director of NYU’s Center for the United States and the Cold War and of the Frederic Ewen Academic Freedom Center. Naftali is an historian who studies leaders, power, and international affairs. He is currently a senior research fellow in the national security studies program at the New America Foundation, and was the first director of the federal Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum. Naftali will assume his duties at NYU on January 13, 2014.
“Tamiment Library is one of the most distinguished special collections in the country devoted to the history of left politics, labor, and social protest movements,” says Mandel. “Scholars from around the world look to its collections to shed new light on issues from workers’ rights to the fight for academic freedom to women’s history and much more. I am delighted that these unique archives will be stewarded and expanded under the guidance of Tim Naftali, a prolific writer and scholar. He brings a vision for Tamiment shaped by his interest in the impact of social activism, past and present, and a deep commitment to public engagement with history.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Congress Has a History of Legislating in Secrecy
- At James Madison’s home, slaves’ lives matter as much as the man who owned them
- Destroying Great Mosque of al-Nuri 'is Isis declaring defeat'
- At Watergate, Recalling a Burglary That Toppled a President
- Hidden Trove of Suspected Nazi Artifacts Found in Argentina
- Researcher: "Actually, Yes It Is a Discovery If You Find Something in an Archive That No One Knew Was There."
- The Trump team is obsessing over Thucydides, the ancient historian who wrote a seminal tract on war
- Historians defend scholar who studies Poland and Holocaust
- Max Boot Says "Donald Trump Is Proving Too Stupid to Be President"
- Historians called on to write books that impact the public