Timothy Naftali Joins NYU as the Tamiment Library’s New DirectorHistorians in the News
tags: NYU, Timothy Naftali, Tamiment Library
Dean of New York University Libraries Carol A. Mandel announced today the designation of presidential historian Timothy Naftali as Head of the Tamiment Library and Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives and co-director of NYU’s Center for the United States and the Cold War and of the Frederic Ewen Academic Freedom Center. Naftali is an historian who studies leaders, power, and international affairs. He is currently a senior research fellow in the national security studies program at the New America Foundation, and was the first director of the federal Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum. Naftali will assume his duties at NYU on January 13, 2014.
“Tamiment Library is one of the most distinguished special collections in the country devoted to the history of left politics, labor, and social protest movements,” says Mandel. “Scholars from around the world look to its collections to shed new light on issues from workers’ rights to the fight for academic freedom to women’s history and much more. I am delighted that these unique archives will be stewarded and expanded under the guidance of Tim Naftali, a prolific writer and scholar. He brings a vision for Tamiment shaped by his interest in the impact of social activism, past and present, and a deep commitment to public engagement with history.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Scientists Hope to Learn How Pompeians Lived, Before the Big Day
- Watch Robert Kennedy Push Gun Control In Same Town As Recent Mass Shooting
- October is LGBT History Month
- Textbook publisher apologizes for passage referring to slavery as immigration
- 60 Minutes interviews the priest who’s made it his mission to expose the forgotten victims of the Holocaust
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders
- Intellectual historians to gather in October
- Yuri N. Afanasyev, Historian Who Repudiated Communism, Dies at 81