Photos Of Victorian London Show Difficulties Of Life On The Streetstags: photography, UK
A rare book up for auction this week has revealed haunting images of 19th century London, each demonstrating the squalor and hardship of the metropole's streets.
John Thompson, a then-famous photographer who traveled Asia in the years leading up to the collection, took the photos upon his return to London between 1876 and 1877. He teamed with socialist journalist Adolphe Smith to photograph London's streets and their poverty.
As the Guardian notes, the authors intended at the time to "bring before the public some account of the present condition of the London street folk, and to supply a series of faithful pictures of the people themselves..."
comments powered by Disqus
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate