Photos Of Victorian London Show Difficulties Of Life On The Streetstags: photography, UK
A rare book up for auction this week has revealed haunting images of 19th century London, each demonstrating the squalor and hardship of the metropole's streets.
John Thompson, a then-famous photographer who traveled Asia in the years leading up to the collection, took the photos upon his return to London between 1876 and 1877. He teamed with socialist journalist Adolphe Smith to photograph London's streets and their poverty.
As the Guardian notes, the authors intended at the time to "bring before the public some account of the present condition of the London street folk, and to supply a series of faithful pictures of the people themselves..."
comments powered by Disqus
- Who wrote the new AP US History framework? Now we know.
- Pro-Israel groups going after federal support of Middle East Studies
- 100th Anniversary of Beard's 'An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution' commemorated
- University of Illinois Bigwig to Native American Studies scholar Jean O’Brien: Drop Dead
- 2 of 21 MacArthur Fellows for 2014 are historians