Photos Of Victorian London Show Difficulties Of Life On The StreetsBreaking News
tags: photography, UK
A rare book up for auction this week has revealed haunting images of 19th century London, each demonstrating the squalor and hardship of the metropole's streets.
John Thompson, a then-famous photographer who traveled Asia in the years leading up to the collection, took the photos upon his return to London between 1876 and 1877. He teamed with socialist journalist Adolphe Smith to photograph London's streets and their poverty.
As the Guardian notes, the authors intended at the time to "bring before the public some account of the present condition of the London street folk, and to supply a series of faithful pictures of the people themselves..."
comments powered by Disqus
- Historians plead with Trump not to block the release of final stash of JFK assassination documents
- Historian and Novelist Thomas Fleming Has Passed Away at Age 90
- Steven Salaita, Whose Revoked Job Offer Inflamed Higher Ed, Says He’s Leaving Academe
- When did higher education become partisan?
- One reason H.R. McMaster and Trump don't have a close relationship