Last stretch of Hitler's motorway to disappearBreaking News
tags: Nazi Germany, autobahns
Built by the Nazi regime as part of a programme to get Germans back to work, the 2.5-mile stretch of the A11 motorway lies to the north-east of Berlin, linking the German capital with the now-Polish city of Szczecin, which, before the war, lay in the Reich and was called Stettin.
The original 82-foot-long slabs of concrete survived the war and the following decades but are now succumbing to the effects of time, the weather and increased traffic between Poland and Germany. Running repairs have kept the road operating for a number of years but now it requires resurfacing.
"The condition of the roadway is unbearable," Frank Gotzmann, director of the nearby town of Gartz, told the newspaper Welt. "Everyone drives very carefully on it. They even drive in the left lane because the right-hand one is very bad....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity