Tampa library to preserve African American historyBreaking News
tags: Florida, African American history, Tampa
Central Avenue was once the Harlem of Tampa, where black-owned businesses flourished. The historic Jackson boarding house rented rooms to stars like Ella Fitzgerald and Cab Calloway. Former Florida N-double ACP director, Robert W. Saunders was a civil rights activist born and raised just around the corner.
Tampa is rich with African American history and the Hillsborough Library branch named after Saunders is looking to preserve that history. They are kick starting a Story Corps project to help capture the oral history of the black experience.
The Robert W. Saunders Senior Library stands in an area that's seen better days. Just across the street are closed down buildings with boarded up windows and chained fences – the aftermath of a notorious housing project that was recently put to the wrecking ball....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity