Robin Fleming, medieval historian at Boston College, named MacArthur FellowHistorians in the News
A medieval historian from Boston College and two MIT professors were recently recognized for their work, and awarded fellowships from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation....
Robin Fleming, a medieval historian and professor in the Department of History at Boston College was one of more than a dozen recognized by the foundation for her work unearthing the rich history of medieval Britain, after the fall of Rome, and shedding light on the on the how lower-class citizens of that time lived their lives. “With her probing research and her ability to relate her findings with remarkable clarity, Fleming is changing the way historians view early medieval Britain and providing a framework for incorporating material culture into the writing of history,” the foundation said of her work. She uses skeletal remains to “talk about the distant past,” according to a video that features her work.
“Things are often overlooked by historians,” said Fleming. “There’s a huge, gaping hole between the Roman period and the early medieval period. There’s this line between the two periods…I want to move that line.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- High on Hitler and Meth: Book Says Nazis Were Fueled by Drugs
- Guam war reparations bill moves to White House
- South Atlantic Mystery Flash in September 1979 Raised Questions about Nuclear Test
- California Owes Reparations To Victims Of Forced Race & Intellectual-Based Sterilization, Study Finds
- All the times in U.S. history that members of the electoral college voted their own way
- Historians' Debate: Is this The Age of Trump?
- Economists are attacking historians’ recent works on slavery
- Salon suggests Paul Gottfried, "a retired Jewish political historian,” was a founder of the Alt-Right
- National Women's History Museum Receives Grant to Rebuild Website with Advanced Content Capabilities
- UCLA history professor Gabriel Piterberg continues to come under attack after being accused of sexual harassment