Fort Ticonderoga re-enacts dramatic battlesBreaking News
tags: American Revolution
FIVE Septembers ago, my 8-year-old son returned from a trip to Fort Ticonderoga with my husband, euphoric from a weekend of war re-enactments. My 5-year-old daughter had stayed behind with me in Brooklyn, neither of us interested in watching grown men pretend to shoot one another.
My son, Dean, was already planning another trip to that 18th-century fort, in New York State, above Lake Champlain near the Vermont border, and insisted we go with them. Paulina and I shrugged, though I was more than uninterested, my pacifist leanings making me hostile to the idea. But over the following winter and spring, Dean waged a major campaign against our defenses. Paulina and I surrendered, and the following summer, we found ourselves at Fort Ti, as the regulars call it....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity