Historians seek unrecovered Japanese soldiers from Pearl Harbor attackHistorians in the News
tags: Pearl Harbor
It’s been 68 years since World War II came to an end. Back then, Japan and America were not just from the opposite sides of the Pacific. Both were also from opposing ideologies. Japan was part of the Axis Powers while America was on the side of the Allied Forces. But now both have become allies and historians from Pacific National Monument in Hawaii want to find out what happened to the unaccounted Japanese soldiers from the attacks on Pearl Harbor.
After the war, the bodies of Japanese soldiers recovered were repatriated to Japan. However, there were 29 airmen and 4 sailors that were never found. Without information, the soldiers were believed lost in the Pacific Ocean. However, four of the airmen were considered to be buried in unmarked graves on Ewa Beach on the island of Oahu, where Pearl Harbor is also located. “For a long time, we didn’t even know the names,” confessed Daniel Martinez, the chief historian at the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument. Martinez added that during the early years of the post-war period, historians did not bother about the unknown soldiers “because of the nature of the attack.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity