Catherine O’Donnell: History is Useful Tool, Not Answer to Every Problemtags: history, Catherine O'Donnell, ASU, Arizona Republic
Catherine O’Donnell is an associate history professor at Arizona State University.
I am an historian with a secret. I don’t think studying the past tells us what to do in the present.
I should qualify that: If you are considering whether to invade Russia in winter, history provides the answer.
But I object when voices from across the political spectrum claim history tells us the answer to more complex questions: what our tax policy should be, why a specific crime happened and, most disturbingly, which political views prove us to be good citizens and which reveal us to be bad ones....
comments powered by Disqus
- Columbia University Releases Eric Foner’s Civil War MOOCs. It's Free!
- Historian Geoffrey Ward tells CBS: Fox News would have ‘loved’ to show FDR with polio ‘at his most helpless’
- Eric Hobsbawm is remembered as a polyglot of a kind that's vanished
- Once again Ken Burns turns to Geoffrey Ward to write his script, this time about the Roosevelts
- Historian warns that countries go into decline when they become rigid, oppress minorities, and become weak militarily