Catherine O’Donnell: History is Useful Tool, Not Answer to Every ProblemRoundup: Historians' Take
tags: history, Catherine O'Donnell, ASU, Arizona Republic
Catherine O’Donnell is an associate history professor at Arizona State University.
I am an historian with a secret. I don’t think studying the past tells us what to do in the present.
I should qualify that: If you are considering whether to invade Russia in winter, history provides the answer.
But I object when voices from across the political spectrum claim history tells us the answer to more complex questions: what our tax policy should be, why a specific crime happened and, most disturbingly, which political views prove us to be good citizens and which reveal us to be bad ones....
comments powered by Disqus
- Berlin's street names provoke debate over forgotten colonial history
- 'World's first newspaper published in Korea in 1557'
- Trump’s claim that ‘no administration has accomplished more in the first 90 days’
- Trump parroted Chinese version of history
- Museum of the American Revolution opens: 'It's high time we had a museum such as this'
- David McCullough: President Trump's Disregard for History Is 'Utter Nonsense'
- Professor uses role-playing, video game to teach history
- American Historical Review apology prompts soul-searching over racial gatekeeping in the academe
- Professor who tweeted Trump 'must hang' goes on leave for semester
- Jonathan Zimmerman is joining the growing ranks of liberal historians alarmed by college speech codes