Catherine O’Donnell: History is Useful Tool, Not Answer to Every ProblemRoundup: Historians' Take
tags: history, Catherine O'Donnell, ASU, Arizona Republic
Catherine O’Donnell is an associate history professor at Arizona State University.
I am an historian with a secret. I don’t think studying the past tells us what to do in the present.
I should qualify that: If you are considering whether to invade Russia in winter, history provides the answer.
But I object when voices from across the political spectrum claim history tells us the answer to more complex questions: what our tax policy should be, why a specific crime happened and, most disturbingly, which political views prove us to be good citizens and which reveal us to be bad ones....
comments powered by Disqus
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments