Originally published 08/12/2013
Catherine O’Donnell is an associate history professor at Arizona State University.I am an historian with a secret. I don’t think studying the past tells us what to do in the present.I should qualify that: If you are considering whether to invade Russia in winter, history provides the answer.But I object when voices from across the political spectrum claim history tells us the answer to more complex questions: what our tax policy should be, why a specific crime happened and, most disturbingly, which political views prove us to be good citizens and which reveal us to be bad ones....
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830
- UK teaching "invented" history as EU propaganda, says Cambridge professor
- The move accelerates to show that black people have a history
- Eric Foner says he insisted on his MOOC on the Civil War being free
- Ellen Schrecker backs “National Adjunct Walkout Day” as a brilliant tactic