Anger over Bothwell Bridge battle site building planBreaking News
tags: historic preservation, Scotland, The Scotsman (UK), Bothwell Bridge, war memorials
A PLANNED housing development on the site of a 17th-century battlefield is an “insult” to the soldiers who lost their lives there, critics have said.
Cala Homes wants to move a war memorial and build a multi-million-pound estate on Covenanters’ Field in Bothwell, Lanarkshire. There are plans for 15 homes on the site of the 1679 Battle of Bothwell Bridge.
But the move has drawn fierce protests from objectors, who claim it would be an “act of desecration” at an important historic site.
Ten objections have been lodged so far, with some from as far afield as the United States....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historians plead with Trump not to block the release of final stash of JFK assassination documents
- Historian and Novelist Thomas Fleming Has Passed Away at Age 90
- Steven Salaita, Whose Revoked Job Offer Inflamed Higher Ed, Says He’s Leaving Academe
- When did higher education become partisan?
- One reason H.R. McMaster and Trump don't have a close relationship