Anger over Bothwell Bridge battle site building planBreaking News
tags: historic preservation, Scotland, The Scotsman (UK), Bothwell Bridge, war memorials
A PLANNED housing development on the site of a 17th-century battlefield is an “insult” to the soldiers who lost their lives there, critics have said.
Cala Homes wants to move a war memorial and build a multi-million-pound estate on Covenanters’ Field in Bothwell, Lanarkshire. There are plans for 15 homes on the site of the 1679 Battle of Bothwell Bridge.
But the move has drawn fierce protests from objectors, who claim it would be an “act of desecration” at an important historic site.
Ten objections have been lodged so far, with some from as far afield as the United States....
comments powered by Disqus
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments