Anger over Bothwell Bridge battle site building planBreaking News
tags: historic preservation, Scotland, The Scotsman (UK), Bothwell Bridge, war memorials
A PLANNED housing development on the site of a 17th-century battlefield is an “insult” to the soldiers who lost their lives there, critics have said.
Cala Homes wants to move a war memorial and build a multi-million-pound estate on Covenanters’ Field in Bothwell, Lanarkshire. There are plans for 15 homes on the site of the 1679 Battle of Bothwell Bridge.
But the move has drawn fierce protests from objectors, who claim it would be an “act of desecration” at an important historic site.
Ten objections have been lodged so far, with some from as far afield as the United States....
comments powered by Disqus
- A Trump book riddled with falsehoods will no longer be sold by the National History Museum
- 'America First,' a phrase with a loaded anti-Semitic and isolationist history
- These presidents all said they were going to change America. How’d that work out?
- Presidents Have Less Power Over the Economy Than You Might Think
- Harry Middleton, who led LBJ library and released presidential tapes, dies at 95