Desecrated site a loss for all Australianstags: Australia, Aborigines, vandalism, Northern Territory, The Australian
THE desecration of an Aboriginal sacred site in the Northern Territory is a loss of heritage for all Australians, a magistrate says.
Magistrate Sue Oliver on Friday found that OM (Manganese) Ltd damaged and desecrated a sacred site known in English as Two Women Sitting Down, at Bootu Creek, about 170km north of Tennant Creek.
This is the first desecration conviction in Australia.
The company blasted and mined 40 metres away from the site, causing it to collapse in 2011.
"What has been there for many thousands of years has been lost forever," Ms Oliver said....
comments powered by Disqus
- Field Report: What I learned by attending a workshop on Korean history
- Historians suggest ways California can integrate gay history into the school curriculum
- Now it’s Andrew Bacevich’s turn to do a MOOC
- Historian enlists Plato in campaign to win converts to an exciting way to teach history
- Teachers walkout in Colorado over AP history controversy and pay