Desecrated site a loss for all Australianstags: Australia, Aborigines, vandalism, Northern Territory, The Australian
THE desecration of an Aboriginal sacred site in the Northern Territory is a loss of heritage for all Australians, a magistrate says.
Magistrate Sue Oliver on Friday found that OM (Manganese) Ltd damaged and desecrated a sacred site known in English as Two Women Sitting Down, at Bootu Creek, about 170km north of Tennant Creek.
This is the first desecration conviction in Australia.
The company blasted and mined 40 metres away from the site, causing it to collapse in 2011.
"What has been there for many thousands of years has been lost forever," Ms Oliver said....
comments powered by Disqus
- 1,000 + have signed a petition protesting US government plan to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War
- Historian and raconteur Raychauduri dies in UK
- Group is drawing attention to the historic swath between Gettysburg and Monticello
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland