Desecrated site a loss for all AustraliansBreaking News
tags: Australia, Aborigines, vandalism, Northern Territory, The Australian
THE desecration of an Aboriginal sacred site in the Northern Territory is a loss of heritage for all Australians, a magistrate says.
Magistrate Sue Oliver on Friday found that OM (Manganese) Ltd damaged and desecrated a sacred site known in English as Two Women Sitting Down, at Bootu Creek, about 170km north of Tennant Creek.
This is the first desecration conviction in Australia.
The company blasted and mined 40 metres away from the site, causing it to collapse in 2011.
"What has been there for many thousands of years has been lost forever," Ms Oliver said....
comments powered by Disqus
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”
- It’s Been 3 Decades Since There Were So Few Jobs for History Ph.D.s
- Former Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks returns to campus as a member of the history department
- Conservatives attack Garry Wills’s book on the Quran
- The Scholars Behind the Quest for Reparations