Desecrated site a loss for all Australianstags: Australia, Aborigines, vandalism, Northern Territory, The Australian
THE desecration of an Aboriginal sacred site in the Northern Territory is a loss of heritage for all Australians, a magistrate says.
Magistrate Sue Oliver on Friday found that OM (Manganese) Ltd damaged and desecrated a sacred site known in English as Two Women Sitting Down, at Bootu Creek, about 170km north of Tennant Creek.
This is the first desecration conviction in Australia.
The company blasted and mined 40 metres away from the site, causing it to collapse in 2011.
"What has been there for many thousands of years has been lost forever," Ms Oliver said....
comments powered by Disqus
- New Churchill Museum director shares vision
- Judith Kelleher Schafer, 72, a historian of slavery and prostitution, dies
- Northwestern celebrates Garry Wills with a book in his honor
- Conservatives go after UCLA's historian James Gelvin
- Laura Hillenbrand writes her masterpieces despite suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome