Building comes down for Fredericksburg restorationtags: historic preservation, Civil War, Chancellorsville, historic sites, Spotsylvania, Fredericksburg
Usually, people try to restore castles.
But in Spotsylvania County, the “castle”—as some call a local fixture on State Route 3—is being demolished.
The Central Virginia Battlefields Trust is razing the old “Stars and Bars” military surplus store on the Chancellorsville battlefield.
The massively built structure—with twin turrets, battlements and a façade of brick and block—stands in the way of restoring the land to its May 1863 appearance....
comments powered by Disqus
- Two-Thirds of European Men Descend From Three People
- In Osama bin Laden Library: Illuminati and Bob Woodward
- ISIS Fighters Seize Control of Syrian City of Palmyra, and Ancient Ruins
- A Black Man Hangs a White Supremacist: Tyler Shields’s Charged Photography
- Skulls Suggest Violence Used as a Tool of Political Control