Cheney wrong againBreaking News
It’s one of Margaret Thatcher’s most memorable quotes, spoken to President George H.W. Bush after Iraq’s 1990 invasion of Kuwait: "Remember, George, this is no time to go wobbly."
It evokes the image of a weak-spined Bush, bolstered by the Iron Lady.
Dick Cheney, the defense secretary who would become vice president, recently called it "an old wives’ story."
And we said: Really?
Cheney fondly recalled the former British prime minister, who died Monday, in an interview that day with Fox News anchor Greta Van Susteren.
Van Susteren: "But there's that famous quote where, apparently, she told President Bush 41 not to go wobbly."
Cheney: "That's not true."
Van Susteren: "That's not true?"
Cheney: "Not true, no."
Van Susteren: "That's a falsehood."
Cheney: "An old wives' story. There was never any doubt about what the president was doing. He didn't need any bucking up."
The same day, the Christian Science Monitor published: "Margaret Thatcher: 'This is no time to go wobbly' and other memorable quotes." The New York Times mentioned the line in her obituary.
Is the quote just "an old wives’ story"?
Bush and Thatcher
We’ve reviewed speeches, transcripts, books and more, and we can tell you: Bush and Thatcher agree that she said it....
comments powered by Disqus
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges