Japan Never Intended to Invade AustraliaBreaking News
"The invasion myth had remained alive for 60 years, abetted by the seeming need of Australians to dramatise their situation in 1942," he said.
"Why can't we as a nation accept that the war the Allies fought was decided far from Australia - North Africa, north-west Europe and above all on the steppes of European Russia," he said. "Why do we appear to want to believe that Australia really was threatened with invasion, that it was attacked."
He said such a desire was "poignant and rather pathetic". Dr Stanley said the bombing of Darwin, the Japanese advance through Papua New Guinea and other military activities around Australia had nothing to do with any invasion plan.
comments powered by Disqus
- Marine Corps investigating photo of iconic flag-raising on Iwo Jima
- Scholars Blast New Study Tracing Ashkenazi Jews to Khazars of Ancient Turkey
- Legendary Explorer’s Long-Lost Ship May Have Been Found Off Rhode Island
- More Doubts, Opposition To Sale Of Unique, Hartford Collection Of Political History
- How the Curse of Sykes-Picot Still Haunts the Middle East
- The Historian Whitewashing Ukraine’s Past
- Andrew Roberts wins $250,000 prize from the conservative Bradley Foundation
- Daniel Aaron, Critic and Historian Who Pioneered American Studies, Dies at 103
- Liz Covart's amazingly popular podcast helps her audience understand early American history
- Justus Rosenberg is still teaching at age 95