'Emperor' stirs deep emotions in Japan and U.S.tags: World War II, Hollywood, Japan, movies, Emperor, MacArthur, Hirohito, LA Times
Emotions have been running high at screenings of the historical drama "Emperor."
The Japanese American coproduction, which opens Friday, revolves around the dilemma Gen. Douglas MacArthur faced as he tried to restore order in post-World War II Japan: Should the country's divine leader, Emperor Hirohito, stand trial and face certain death on war crimes charges?
When the producers screened "Emperor" recently in Japan, producer Gary Foster said, many men were in tears as they left the theater.
"It was almost a cathartic moment," he said....
comments powered by Disqus
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate