'Emperor' stirs deep emotions in Japan and U.S.Roundup: Pop Culture & the Arts ... Movies, Documentaries and Museum Exhibits
tags: World War II, Hollywood, Japan, movies, Emperor, MacArthur, Hirohito, LA Times
Emotions have been running high at screenings of the historical drama "Emperor."
The Japanese American coproduction, which opens Friday, revolves around the dilemma Gen. Douglas MacArthur faced as he tried to restore order in post-World War II Japan: Should the country's divine leader, Emperor Hirohito, stand trial and face certain death on war crimes charges?
When the producers screened "Emperor" recently in Japan, producer Gary Foster said, many men were in tears as they left the theater.
"It was almost a cathartic moment," he said....
comments powered by Disqus
- Karen L. Cox says historians shouldn’t be afraid to embrace YouTube to reach millennials
- You Know Your History? These Podcasts Aren’t So Sure.
- Victor Davis Hanson says Trump Must "Retire as Twitter Champ”
- The Daily Mail is highlighting claims by a Cambridge don that teachers are helping to foster resentment by presenting history as the struggle of minority groups
- Historians Are Calling Out Trump Online Whenever He Misreads the Past