'Emperor' stirs deep emotions in Japan and U.S.Roundup: Pop Culture & the Arts ... Movies, Documentaries and Museum Exhibits
tags: World War II, Hollywood, Japan, movies, Emperor, MacArthur, Hirohito, LA Times
Emotions have been running high at screenings of the historical drama "Emperor."
The Japanese American coproduction, which opens Friday, revolves around the dilemma Gen. Douglas MacArthur faced as he tried to restore order in post-World War II Japan: Should the country's divine leader, Emperor Hirohito, stand trial and face certain death on war crimes charges?
When the producers screened "Emperor" recently in Japan, producer Gary Foster said, many men were in tears as they left the theater.
"It was almost a cathartic moment," he said....
comments powered by Disqus
- Voting opens soon for the leaders of the OAH in 2017
- A team of science historians are attempting to re-create recipes from sixteenth-century alchemy texts
- David Kennedy recalls his dinners with President Obama
- When Kellie Jones Wanted To Study Black Art History, The Field Didn’t Exist. So She Created It Herself.
- Michael Honey: The 60’s activist turned historian