April 2013 conference at Yale honoring Jon Butlertags: Yale, Jon Butler, conferences
Over at Religion in American History, Chris Cantwell, newly appointed Assistant Professor of History and Religious Studies at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, calls our attention to an April 2013 conference at Yale honoring the work of American historian Jon Butler. Presenters include James Bennett, Catherine Brekus, Stewart Davenport, Christopher Grasso, Alison Greene, Amy Koehlinger, Rachel Wheeler, and Molly Worthen. There will also be a toast from Harry Stout.
The sessions have been crafted around Butler's seminal contributions to the field of American religious history. They are titled:
"Magic, Astrology, and the Early American Religious Heritage"
"Jack-in-the-Box Faith:?: The Religious Problem in Modern American History"
"Enthusiasm Described and Decried: The Great Awakening as Interpretive Fiction:
"Awash in a Sea of Faith."...
comments powered by Disqus
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success
- Sven Beckert’s List of the Ten Books on Slavery You Need to Read
- Jonathan Zimmerman says homosexuality is not alien to Africa
- Historian Howard Segal says the cost of paying for expensive commencement speeches is diverting funds from where they’re most needed