Rosa Parks statue unveiled at CapitolBreaking News
tags: Rosa Parks, Black History, statues, civil rights movement
President Barack Obama says civil rights icon Rosa Parks has taken her rightful place among those who have shaped the course of U.S. history.
Obama and House Speaker John Boehner unveiled a statue of Parks in a ceremony at the Capitol. Parks becomes the first black woman to be honored with a full-length statue in the Capitol's Statuary Hall.
A bust of another black woman, abolitionist Sojourner Truth, sits in the Capitol Visitors Center.
Obama says the nation learned from Parks that there is always something we can do to improve the future...
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian James Harris says Russian archives show we’ve misunderstood Stalin
- The Invisible Labor of Women’s Studies
- Lincoln University historian mourns decision to abolish the history major
- Hamilton College conservative historian questions diversity requirement
- Historians on Donald Trump: A Huge Hit on Facebook