Rosa Parks statue unveiled at CapitolBreaking News
tags: Rosa Parks, Black History, statues, civil rights movement
President Barack Obama says civil rights icon Rosa Parks has taken her rightful place among those who have shaped the course of U.S. history.
Obama and House Speaker John Boehner unveiled a statue of Parks in a ceremony at the Capitol. Parks becomes the first black woman to be honored with a full-length statue in the Capitol's Statuary Hall.
A bust of another black woman, abolitionist Sojourner Truth, sits in the Capitol Visitors Center.
Obama says the nation learned from Parks that there is always something we can do to improve the future...
comments powered by Disqus
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”
- It’s Been 3 Decades Since There Were So Few Jobs for History Ph.D.s
- Former Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks returns to campus as a member of the history department
- Conservatives attack Garry Wills’s book on the Quran
- The Scholars Behind the Quest for Reparations