Back when Anglos were the "illegals" in TexasBreaking News
The illegal immigrants had crossed the river in defiance of the law, then escaped capture by sneaking past armed patrols in the dark. They did not have the required paperwork and were ordered to leave, but the authorities suspected the immigrants would probably defy them.
It is a scenario that happens every day on the Texas-Mexico border. But in this particular incident, the immigrants were white, English-speaking Americans who were looking for a better life in Texas. And the authorities who were trying to keep them out were Mexican.
The episode offers some modern lessons, according to one Texas official.
In 1830, Mexico passed a law banning almost all immigration from the United States and provided for military garrisons along its border to enforce it....
comments powered by Disqus
- David Kennedy recalls his dinners with President Obama
- When Kellie Jones Wanted To Study Black Art History, The Field Didn’t Exist. So She Created It Herself.
- Michael Honey: The 60’s activist turned historian
- Holocaust historian 'will quit US' if Trump is elected
- Henry Louis Gates Jr. says the new African American history museum proves Jefferson was wrong