Historians are confident: Texas secession is real doubtful
WASHINGTON — Retired Del Mar College professor Herb Arbuckle's thoughts turned to a little known provision relating to the Lone Star State after he read about an online petition with nearly 119,000 signers calling for Texas to secede "peacefully" from the Union.
To be clear, Arbuckle, who taught math and history, pointed out Texas can't legally secede, and he wasn't singing the praises of those who signed the petition on WhiteHouse.gov in what political observers believe is a sign of protest at President Obama's re-election.
"We did fight a bloody Civil War, which proved no one has the right to secede," Arbuckle, 68, said in a telephone message. "If these idiots with their petition don't understand that, then they are indeed fools."...
comments powered by Disqus
- Historians gloss over too many unpalatable truths, Antony Beevor says
- Historian shares his own experience with mental illness
- Daniel Pipes calls the rulers of Iran "madmen" on official Iranian TV
- A Professor Tries to Beat Back a News Spoof That Won’t Go Away
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?