Scott's Antarctic explorers read Alice In Wonderland on boardBreaking News
The men on board the 1901-04 Discovery expedition were forced to endure freezing temperatures, 24-hour stretches of darkness and risked cabin fever after becoming stuck in the ice.
They were hailed for their “heroic” dedication to exploration, with the scientific research into the harsh and largely untouched continent launching Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton to prominence.
It now appears the inhospitable conditions were made a little easier by the ship’s library, which included two books by children’s author Lewis Carroll.
The 1889 story Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and 1901’s Through the Looking Glass are now known to have nestled among the more serious scientific and navigational tomes on the mess deck....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity