Columbia Icon Jacques Barzun Dies After Extraordinary Life of Intellectual Leadership
The Columbia University community mourns the loss of Jacques Barzun, who died yesterday in San Antonio, Texas, at the age of 104.
Whether he is considered as a scholar, teacher, author, academic role model, public intellectual or Columbia University administrator, Professor Barzun had precious few peers.
“No person has represented our University’s greatness as a center of intellectual creativity better than Jacques Barzun,” said President Lee C. Bollinger. “He has shown what it means to bring the breadth of human knowledge to bear on understanding the human condition and improving it. His role in Columbia’s history is permanent.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success
- Sven Beckert’s List of the Ten Books on Slavery You Need to Read
- Jonathan Zimmerman says homosexuality is not alien to Africa
- Historian Howard Segal says the cost of paying for expensive commencement speeches is diverting funds from where they’re most needed