British PoW escaped 200 times to meet German loverBreaking News
The story of a British prisoner of war who had a secret affair with a German girl while held captive by the Nazis is to be turned into a Hollywood film.
Horace Greasley was captured during the retreat to Dunkirk and imprisoned for two-and-a-half years during the Second World War in a PoW camp in Lamsdorf, Poland.
It was during this time that he began a relationship with Rosa Rauchbach, a girl from a nearby village who was hiding her part-Jewish background from the Nazis while she worked as a translator at a marble quarry labour camp.
He would regularly sneak out at night for trysts with his lover in a chapel and she would help him find food and equipment he could then smuggle back to the camp....
comments powered by Disqus
- 159 scholars at Harvard sign petition reprimanding the school for rejections of Chelsea Manning and Michelle Jones
- Fact Check: Steve Bannon’s Bad History
- The Story Behind the Truman Quote in President Trump's U.N. Speech
- As Trump Declares Missing in Action Recognition Day, How Many Service Members Are Missing?
- The ‘nation’s report card’ says it assesses critical thinking in history
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond
- He’s 75 now. When he started teaching at the University of New Orleans students walked out on his class.
- ‘Fake news’ from 1738 offers lessons for modern historians, says Missouri scholar