Centuries-old canoe unearthed in sand near Daufuskie IslandBreaking News
A bit of centuries-old history has been freed from the muck off Daufuskie Island.
The dugout canoe, probably hand-hewn in the 18th century, was first found on Turtle Island in May. Daufuskie Island residents and University of South Carolina archaeologists, aided by natural erosion around the craft, were able to break the mud's grip Oct. 4.
James Spirek, a USC underwater archaeologist, oversaw the dig and says the boat probably was hand-carved from a single log.
By whom remains a mystery....
comments powered by Disqus
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments