UWinnipeg gets $500,000 GRANT for Residential School ResearchHistorians in the News
WINNIPEG, MB – The University of Winnipeg’s Oral History Centre (OHC) has received a $500,000 grant from the Aboriginal Healing Foundation to document the intergenerational effects of the residential schools through a digital storytelling project. The focus will be on Aboriginal men. The research project, entitled “Children of Survivors: The Intergenerational Experiences of Residential Schools”, will be conducted in partnership with UWinnipeg’s Indigenous Studies Department, the Prairie Women's Health Centre of Excellence, Ka Ni Kanichihk and Moon Voices.
“We are very grateful for this funding which will help promote intergenerational reconciliation of the residential school legacy and contribute to the national healing legacy,” explained Dr. Alexander Freund, Associate Professor of History, Co-director of the Oral History Centre (OHC).
“This project will help us further understand how the residential school legacy passes on between generations,” said Dr. Julie Pelletier, Chair and Associate Professor, Faculty of Indigenous Studies at UWinnipeg. “We need survivors to share their experiences, which will help the healing process and engage Canadians as we move together along the path of reconciliation.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"