David Cameron on Letterman: his history test in full
David Cameron struggled with David Letterman's impromptu questions about British history. How would you do?
Who wrote 'Rule, Britannia!'?
Mr Cameron wrongly guessed at Edward Elgar. Letterman informed him that the song was actually based on a poem written by James Thomson and set to music by Thomas Arne in 1740.
In the days of colonisation, Britain really did rule the world. The sun never set on the empire. We look back on that as just awful don't we?
Mr Cameron said: "I think there were some good bits and some less than good bits. Obviously we had a bit of a falling out at that time. I like to think we're getting over it."...
comments powered by Disqus
- Biographer of a Progressive reformer says it's odd reading stories about inequality in the news every day
- Dutch sociologist says that what is new about mass killing is that we’re embarrassed by it
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Convicted felon Conrad Black has a new book out
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830