Nelson's Victory-replica deliberately burnt to groundBreaking News
The Torrington Cavaliers fund-raising group, of Devon, hoped to raise £57,000 - the cost of the original Victory - with the event in the town.
The group spent two years building the 100ft-long half-size mock-up.
Hattie Hill, 11, and her sister Katie, nine, of Welcombe, lit the fire after their godfather won an online auction.
Nick Hill, 45, who lives in Hong Kong, passed the honour to the girls after bidding £325 on eBay.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history