Nelson's Victory-replica deliberately burnt to ground
The Torrington Cavaliers fund-raising group, of Devon, hoped to raise £57,000 - the cost of the original Victory - with the event in the town.
The group spent two years building the 100ft-long half-size mock-up.
Hattie Hill, 11, and her sister Katie, nine, of Welcombe, lit the fire after their godfather won an online auction.
Nick Hill, 45, who lives in Hong Kong, passed the honour to the girls after bidding £325 on eBay.
comments powered by Disqus
- Israel Museum turns a 'brief history of humankind' into exhibit
- What Niall Ferguson's been tweeting lately
- Scholar of Urban Riots: Expect More Unrest
- Historian says Indian mascots remain popular even at schools that dropped them
- A column by Johns Hopkins historian N. D. B. Connolly causes a firestorm on the website of New York Times