Raphael’s ‘Head of an Apostle’ Heading to Auction at Sotheby’sBreaking News
A Renaissance drawing from a prized British collection is being sold at Sotheby’s in London on Dec. 5, the auction house is expected to announce on Tuesday.
Raphael’s “Head of an Apostle,’’ dating from around 1519, was created as a study for a figure in one of the artist’s greatest late paintings, “Transfiguration,’’ that belongs to the Vatican Museum in Rome. The drawing, which was executed in black chalk, is from Chatsworth, the Derbyshire home of the Duke of Devonshire (who also happens to be deputy chairman of Sotheby’s board of directors.) Estimated to sell for $15.8 million to $23.8 million, it has belonged to the Duke’s family since William Cavendish, the 2nd Duke of Devonshire, acquired it sometime in either in the late 17th or early 18th centuries....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity