Horrors of Scott expedition revealedBreaking News
The extreme conditions, which eventually claimed the lives of five including Scott himself, were described by Apsley Cherry-Garrard in letters to his mother.
An assistant zoologist, he joined the Terra Nova expedition aged 24 and was eventually part of the search party that found the frozen bodies of his companions after six months.
The letters, which have come to light through a family member 100 years after Scott died, are expected to fetch £80,000 when they are auctioned by Christie's, according to the Guardian.
They chart the ill-fated exploration of the South Pole, which had already been completed by a Norwegian rival before it began in 1910....
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history