Hundreds of bars of silver rescued from WWII shipwreckBreaking News
The treasure, worth 1.4 million troy ounces of silver, was found on the wreckage three miles beneath the Atlantic.
The operation to retrieve the 1,203 bars from the SS Gairsoppa was the heaviest and deepest underwater mission to remove precious metal from sunken vessels.
It was discovered last September and the metal was reportedly valued at around £155 million in today's prices.
The Gairsoppa, a cargo ship, sank in February 1941, 300 miles south-west of Galway in Ireland....
comments powered by Disqus
- Ken Burns making documentary on Muhammad Ali
- Rick Perlstein is asked if Trump’s like Nixon
- Doris Kearns Goodwin Puts Trump's Health Care Defeat In Historical Perspective
- Christina Vella, Author of Sizzling Works of Narrative History, Dies at 75
- Christopher Lasch, the late historian/social commentator, is suddenly everywhere