Exam howlers reveal Stalin's sausage roll planBreaking News
What was Stalin's key weapon in controlling Eastern Europe? Sausage rolls, according to one student.
Apparently the Russian dictator was not building up a buffer zone in the region after the end of the Second World War, but a "buffet zone".
The blooper is just one of the exam howlers submitted to the Times Higher Education (THE) magazine for its annual competition.
This year's entries reveal how university students have been stumped by historical events, or simply caught out by spelling mistakes.
In a paper on the Cold War, the student for whom Stalin's actions were more along the lines of a street party than a military move wrote: "In 1945, Stalin began to build a buffet zone in Eastern Europe."...
comments powered by Disqus
- Norma Basch, pioneer in legal history, has died
- National History Day Helps 600,000 Kids Bring the Past to Life
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders