Exam howlers reveal Stalin's sausage roll planBreaking News
What was Stalin's key weapon in controlling Eastern Europe? Sausage rolls, according to one student.
Apparently the Russian dictator was not building up a buffer zone in the region after the end of the Second World War, but a "buffet zone".
The blooper is just one of the exam howlers submitted to the Times Higher Education (THE) magazine for its annual competition.
This year's entries reveal how university students have been stumped by historical events, or simply caught out by spelling mistakes.
In a paper on the Cold War, the student for whom Stalin's actions were more along the lines of a street party than a military move wrote: "In 1945, Stalin began to build a buffet zone in Eastern Europe."...
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch every presidential debate since 1960
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history