Hitler Drove This Mercedes. Or Did He?Breaking News
“This is the one,” said Zenop Tuncer, leading the way to a corner of his car repair and restoration shop, where he had parked a rusty, aged hulk with running boards, an old-fashioned vacuum-tube radio and a history — though maybe not the history he thought.
The car is a 1942 Mercedes 320 Cabriolet D. Mr. Tuncer said it ran nicely when it arrived, but the body and the interior needed work, so he had called Mercedes-Benz to order parts. “As soon as I gave them the VIN number,” he said, using the abbreviation for vehicle identification number, “there were a lot of calls from Mercedes: ‘That’s Hitler’s car.’//” (The 10-digit number in question was actually the car’s factory number, or serial number.)
“In those years,” said Mr. Tuncer, whose shop is in Edgewater, N.J., “Mercedes was building cars for him and his staff. Mercedes was only for the top generals.” ...
But Adam Paige, a Mercedes spokesman, checked with an expert at the company’s archives in Stuttgart, Germany, who cast doubt on the Hitler connection, at least with this particular car...
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity