Israel stages Holocaust survivor beauty pageant
A beauty pageant for Holocaust survivors has been held in Israel for the first time, stirring controversy.
Fourteen women, aged 74 to 97, walked along a red carpet in the city of Haifa and described their personal sufferings from the Nazis during World War II.
Hava Hershkovitz, 79, who had to flee her native Romania, was later crowned the winner of the pageant.
Organisers said the contest was a celebration of life, but critics denounced it as offensive....
comments powered by Disqus
- Israel Museum turns a 'brief history of humankind' into exhibit
- What Niall Ferguson's been tweeting lately
- Scholar of Urban Riots: Expect More Unrest
- Historian says Indian mascots remain popular even at schools that dropped them
- A column by Johns Hopkins historian N. D. B. Connolly causes a firestorm on the website of New York Times