Israel stages Holocaust survivor beauty pageant
A beauty pageant for Holocaust survivors has been held in Israel for the first time, stirring controversy.
Fourteen women, aged 74 to 97, walked along a red carpet in the city of Haifa and described their personal sufferings from the Nazis during World War II.
Hava Hershkovitz, 79, who had to flee her native Romania, was later crowned the winner of the pageant.
Organisers said the contest was a celebration of life, but critics denounced it as offensive....
comments powered by Disqus
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial