Israel stages Holocaust survivor beauty pageantBreaking News
A beauty pageant for Holocaust survivors has been held in Israel for the first time, stirring controversy.
Fourteen women, aged 74 to 97, walked along a red carpet in the city of Haifa and described their personal sufferings from the Nazis during World War II.
Hava Hershkovitz, 79, who had to flee her native Romania, was later crowned the winner of the pageant.
Organisers said the contest was a celebration of life, but critics denounced it as offensive....
comments powered by Disqus
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”
- It’s Been 3 Decades Since There Were So Few Jobs for History Ph.D.s
- Former Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks returns to campus as a member of the history department
- Conservatives attack Garry Wills’s book on the Quran
- The Scholars Behind the Quest for Reparations