Iron Age coins worth £1m found by Jersey treasure hunters
Nearly 50,000 coins thought to have been hidden away from Julius Caesar's advancing army have been found on Jersey.
The trove was found by local metal detector enthusiasts Reg Mead and Richard Miles, who had been hunting for them for nearly 30 years.
"We hit something hard. We just put the shovel in here and moved it. We hear that grinding noise of metal rubbing against metal. Just flicked and out came five Iron Age coins. You just go numb. You say: isn't that lovely? And it's a very quiet feeling, isn't it? Wow," Mr Mead said on the discovery....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historians gloss over too many unpalatable truths, Antony Beevor says
- Historian shares his own experience with mental illness
- Daniel Pipes calls the rulers of Iran "madmen" on official Iranian TV
- A Professor Tries to Beat Back a News Spoof That Won’t Go Away
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?